Eye of the Tiger: CHD sits down with Towson legend Devin Boyd

Coach Pat Skerry took over a Towson team in 2011 and promptly led them to a 1-31 season.  Instead of giving up on him, the administration gave him a chance to right the ship and he responded with an 18-13 record last year and is currently above .500 as the Tigers ready themselves for conference play.  Jerrelle Benimon hopes to lead Towson back to the NCAA tourney for the first time in 20 years, so we wanted to look back on the last great era in Towson basketball.  Devin Boyd arrived on campus in the late 1980s as the conference rookie of the year, then proceeded to lead his team to back-to-back NCAA tourney appearances.  Jon Teitel sat down with Devin to chat about his tourney memories. 


In 1989 you were named ECC ROY, how were you able to come in and contribute right from the start? I was very confident, especially after playing with some older college players during the summer (such as Kurk Lee and my brother).

In December 1990 you set a school record by making all 15 of your free throws in a win at Howard.  What is your secret for free throw shooting? There is no secret to FT shooting: most of it is mental but about 25% of it is technique.

What are your memories of the 1990 NCAA tourney (you shot 0-6 from the field in a loss to #1-seed Oklahoma)? I remember that I was nervous on the big stage but enjoyed the experience.

In 1991 you were named ECC POY and in 1993 you were named All-American: what did it mean to you to win such outstanding individual honors? It was a real honor for me to obtain these awards as a result of my hard work as a youth.

What are your memories of the 1991 NCAA tourney (you scored 17 points in 21 minutes before fouling out in a loss to #1-seed Ohio State)? I remember that we believed we could win but the Buckeyes were just too big for us.

Your team won the ECC title in each of your first three years: how was your team able to dominate throughout your career? Our backcourt: great guards will always give you a chance to win.

In November 1991 you scored 29 points in the season opener at Colorado, but suffered a broken elbow and had to redshirt the rest of the season.  How did you feel about getting hurt in the very first game of the year, and how were you able to recover from the injury? I was very depressed and felt like my career was over, but through family and prayers I bounced back.

In 1992 your team switched from the ECC to the Big South and proceeded to win the regular season conference title.  How were you able to come in and have so much success so quickly? The Big South teams knew nothing about our personnel.

In February 1993 you scored a career-high 46 points in 45 minutes and set a school record by scoring 19 points in a five-point, double overtime win at UMBC (and making 22-of-26 free throws).  Was it just one of those scenarios where every shot you put up seemed to go in because you were “in the zone”? I just had the will to win and would do whatever it took to win!

You older brother Andre won two NEC titles at Robert Morris: who was better? I think we were evenly matched: he was a better jump shooter and I was a better scorer and penetrator.